It’s Summer Time!
Weather you’re a beach addict like me, simply enjoy lounging at the pool or BBQing till the sun goes down; Summer means “Outside in the Sun and Fun!”
After doing my own research, I discovered how many chemicals and toxins were in sunscreen. I wanted a safe and natural product. Thankfully I found EWG (Environmental Working Group). They have created a list of the best and safest sunscreens! They use a rating system of 0 -9, 0 being the safest.
Check out there list- http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen/about-the-sunscreens/
Here are some tips from the Environmental Working Group when choosing a sunscreen:
- Look for these active ingredients: zinc oxide, titanium oxide, Mexoryl SX, or avobenzone (5%)
- Opt for SPF 15-50 depending on your skin tone and sun intensity
- Choose lotions (not sprays or powders)
- Water resistant (for beach or pool)
In addition, here are some natural ways to prevent sunburn:
- Astaxanthin: This powerful antioxidant has been shown to protects against UVA damage
- Green tea: Topical green tea extracts applied directly to the skin can offer UV protection
- Omega-3s: Eating more omega-3s (fish) and less omega-6s (corn, soy, canola oils) can help prevent skin cancer development
Vitamin D: Research has shown that taking 5,000 to 10,000 IU of Vitamin D for several months can have a sunburn preventing effect. ( I take Vit. D everyday!!!)
Read more from the amazing Enviromental Working Group! They even have an app that you can scan products to see whats in them along with know how dangerous or healthy each product is!